Claims Adjusters investigate insurance claims to ascertain the extent of liability on behalf of an insurance company. They inspect homes, offices and automobiles, along with interviewing claimants and witnesses, to determine the amount of money to be paid out.
Claims Adjuster Job Description Template
We are seeking diligent, detail-oriented candidates with good interpersonal and quantitative skills. Claims Adjusters are expected to examine damages to people and property, interview witnesses, policemen and subject experts and determine the monetary value owed to the claimant.
The best Claims Adjusters will have good investigative skills and will be capable of finding and collating various sources of information when compiling a claims report. They are the first step in the claims process and submit detailed appraisals to a Claims Examiner who then reviews the Claim Adjuster's work.
Claims Adjuster Responsibilities:
- Investigate property damage or personal injury.
- Gather information from sources, such as police reports.
- Prepare reports for use by Claims Examiners.
- Investigate questionable claims.
- Consult with specialists such as lawyers, engineers, architects and physicians.
- Compile reports of investigation findings.
- Assist attorneys and other specialists when defending the company against contestation.
Claims Adjuster Requirements:
- High school diploma for entry level jobs.
- Bachelor's degree in finance or related field preferred.
- Analytic mindset and good math skills.
- Competency with spreadsheet software.
- Experience with appraisal software such as Xactimate.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Good interpersonal skills.