The Chief Development Officer (CDO) plays an important role in non-profit and educational organizations. As a member of the senior executive team, they ensure the development and success of an organization by instilling a culture of philanthropy, coordinating fund development, contributing to strategic planning, and addressing development issues within the organization.
Chief Development Officer Job Description Template
We are seeking to hire a dedicated Chief Development Officer to help us set direction and ensure the longevity of our organization. The Chief Development Officer will report to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and will work with the senior management team, governing board, and staff to define the organization's vision and direction. You will be responsible for planning and implementing strategies to secure donors and contributions in support of the organization, provide oversight of the fund development program, monitor development activities, and address issues that may hamper growth and success.
The successful applicant should have proven experience as a fundraising and organizational development specialist, with several years of management experience in a non-profit organization or similar environment. You must be motivated, have the ability to solve complex problems, and have a passion for philanthropy.
- Work with the CEO, staff, and governing board to facilitate short and long-term strategic plans.
- Identify and address development issues that affect the well-being and efficacy of the organization.
- Foster a culture of philanthropy and ensure that fund development is executed in keeping with the organization's values, vision, and mission.
- Participate with the CEO and senior management to plan the organization's fund development course and programs.
- Manage the operations development function efficiently, and oversee development activities in coordination with staff.
- Establish a balanced mix of donor sources and fundraising programs to attract and retain donors and fundraising volunteers.
- Establish performance measures, monitor results, and evaluate the efficacy of the fund development program.
- Maintain accountability and ensure compliance with all regulations and laws, as well as the code of ethics for fundraising professionals.
- Help to recruit, train, and motivate fundraising volunteers.
- Keep abreast of developments in philanthropy and fund development.
- Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, or related field.
- Master's Degree preferred.
- Further certification may be required.
- Minimum of 5 years professional experience in managing projects and teams.
- Proven track record of success in fundraising.
- Strong interpersonal, decision-making, and leadership skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Analytical thinking and ability to analyze data.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Occasional travel required.