Benefits Analyst Job Description Template
We are looking for a benefits analyst to analyze current benefit package trends and recommend those which are most suitable. Your duties will include evaluating existing benefits policies, proposing amendments if necessary, and communicating about these with management and employees. You may be required to work with vendors to select the most appropriate package for the company.
To be successful in this position, you need to collaborate effectively with vendors, management, and employees about changes to existing benefits policies. Preferred candidates will have an excellent understanding of the benefits industry in order to offer employees the best benefits and to attract desirable candidates.
Benefits Analyst Responsibilities:
- Administering benefits, leave of absence (LOA), and workers’ compensation processes.
- Reporting benefits plan information to upper management.
- Holding meetings to discuss the details of a benefits program with employees and orientating new employees in terms of benefits.
- Coordinating staff workshops after identifying effective and innovative ways to communicate about benefits.
- Providing information to explain changes in benefits to employees and answering employee queries about benefits policies.
- Identifying and practicing proven strategies to attract desirable personnel.
- Ensuring that policies are renewed on time so that they do not lapse.
- Managing payroll deductions and managing wellness programs to minimize health insurance costs.
- Conducting audits of benefits packages and policies to ensure that the company’s processes are compliant.
- Understanding the legal issues with regard to salaries, pay equity, and LOA by reading relevant articles, making use of personal networks, and attending workshops with other professionals.
Benefits Analyst Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in human resources.
- A master's or doctoral degree in human resources or business is preferred by some companies for senior positions.
- 3-7 years of experience in benefits processes and retirement planning.
- Knowledge of state and federal laws and regulations with regard to the processing of health and retirement benefits.
- Experience in managing leave of absence, time-off, and workers’ compensation programs.
- Experience in Microsoft Suite, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- In-depth understanding of state and local laws governing leave such as ERISA, HIPAA, COBRA, and FMLA to ensure compliance.
- Excellent analytical skills to research and evaluate benefits programs to make informed choices.
- The ability to present information clearly and in a manner that is understandable to managers and employees and to answer questions.
- Excellent writing skills for reports and benefits information.