Astronomers use ground-based equipment, software, and other tools to analyze and better understand celestial bodies and events. They develop and test theories, use tools to observe outer space, write about their findings, and help further our knowledge of the universe.
Astronomer Job Description Template
We are searching for a gifted, analytical Astronomer with a strong understanding of the software, equipment, and scientific and mathematical concepts necessary to collect and analyze data to further our understanding of the universe. The Astronomer will perform experiments, collect information, and develop and test theories in an effort to learn more about celestial bodies, such as planets, stars, and moons, and cosmic events, such as meteor showers and eclipses. You should be a skilled researcher with excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
To be a successful Astronomer, you should possess the technical skills necessary to contribute to the team. You should be analytical and proficient in science and mathematics. You should also possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Performing tests, collecting and analyzing data, and using existing mathematical and scientific principles to learn more about space, planets, stars, and moons.
- Developing theories and new software and technologies to aid in the testing process.
- Writing scholarly articles based on discoveries and drafting proposals for funding.
- Working with a diverse team consisting of experts, technicians, and engineers from varying fields.
- Traveling to laboratories and observatories across the world to study celestial events and collect information using specialized equipment. Lecturing others and making presentations about current scientific knowledge and new discoveries.
- Ph.D. in Astronomy.
- Experience conducting research.
- Strong understanding of mathematics and scientific principles.
- Experience with or working knowledge of scientific software and ground-based equipment, such as telescopes and radio dishes.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication, interpersonal, presentation, and research skills.
- Ability to work with a diverse team.
- Willingness to work nights and travel to locations worldwide to make observations and use specialized equipment.
- Some positions may require expertise in a certain field or security clearance.
Post a Astronomer job ad to 100+ free job boards with one submission