Academic Advisors, or College Advisors, help students achieve their educational goals by working closely with them to select courses, identify strengths, choose a major, and act as resource until the student graduates.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Academic Advisor Job Description Template
We are searching for proactive professionals who are passionate about assisting students as they progress through their academic journey, from new student orientation to graduation. Academic Advisors will assist students with choosing classes, determining their strengths, selecting majors, and help them work towards careers that fit their talents. To ensure that students are progressing towards their goals, Academic Advisors will communicate regularly with students, maintain records of their performance, and intervene if declines in grades or attendance occur.
Successful Academic Advisors will have extensive knowledge about their institutions and a strong desire to assist in student development. Ideal candidates will be caring, organized, communicative, and accessible.
Academic Advisor Responsibilities:
- Discussing career and educational goals with students.
- Aiding in the course selection process to ensure progress towards student goals.
- Displaying an interest in student development.
- Identifying student strengths and weaknesses.
- Maintaining updated reports on student progress.
- Intervening if behavioral or academic abnormalities occur.
- Connecting students with resources, such as counselors or tutors.
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of institutional policies.
Academic Advisor Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree related to education, Master’s degree may be preferred.
- Experience in student counseling, development, education, or related field.
- State license or certification.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Computer skills.
- Ability to maintain accurate and updated records concerning student performance.
- Understanding of institutional policies, procedures, and resources.
- A desire to help students in their academic journey, from enrollment to graduation.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources