Underwriter Job Description Template
We are looking to hire an underwriter with specialized knowledge in risk assessment. Underwriters are expected to have meticulous attention to detail, good negotiating skills and work according to tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
To ensure success, underwriters should be analytical and exceptional communicators with brilliant research and classification skills. Top candidates will be experts in risk analysis and selection with remarkable decision-making skills, a deep understanding of retention and reinsurance, and sound judgment.
- Collect appropriate and accurate information required to assess potential clients and decide on the acceptable risk for a policy.
- Review policy applications based on the previous loss records, age, medical report, credit ratings and driving records.
- Prepare reports that detail risk assessment findings that contribute to the final decision.
- Compare various policies having similar risk undertaking and conduct actuarial studies to decide on the company’s loss records.
- Evaluate policies with regards to the company’s underwriting standards.
- Make a decision to accept, modify or reject an insurance application after scrutiny of all the required documents and studies regarding the risk involved.
- Analyze statistical data using specialized computer programs.
- Write quotes, determine premiums and coverage, and negotiate terms with brokers and clients.
- Carefully select the wording of policies, and prepare the terms and conditions.
- Handle queries from credit control departments, brokers and clients.
- Degree in finance or business administration (essential).
- 2 years of experience as an Underwriter (essential).
- Analytical thinker with research proficiencies.
- Ability to use reasonable and sound judgment.
- Strong problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Thorough knowledge of databases and tracking systems.
- Solid organizational skills and detail-oriented.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Brilliant IT, math and statistical skills.
- Deep knowledge of underwriting regulations.
- Ability to build positive relationships and partnerships with clients, brokers and key role-players.