Railroad Conductors perform various operations on freight or passenger trains. They interact with passengers, verify and collect tickets, coordinate crews, and review routes. Railroad Conductors also record information, analyze documentation, and update databases.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Railroad Conductor Job Description Template
We are searching for a self-motivated and dependable Railroad Conductor to join our team. The Railroad Conductor’s responsibilities include collecting train tickets, interacting with passengers, reviewing routes, liaising with the train engineer, and updating records. You should be willing to assist engineers with various duties and also remain professional in your interactions with passengers.
To be successful as a Railroad Conductor, you should demonstrate excellent attention to detail and superb communication skills. Outstanding candidates have a sound understanding of safety procedures and the ability to act during emergencies.
Railroad Conductor Responsibilities:
- Collecting and verifying passengers’ tickets and assisting them to board the train.
- Communicating with the train engineer and helping them plan the route or make adjustments according to the weather or other possible hazards.
- Regularly checking for messages regarding delays, route hazards, or other issues.
- Providing assistance with train configuration by adjusting the train’s length as required.
- Assisting passengers and other crew members during emergencies.
- Monitoring train routes and recording any irregularities or issues.
- Ensuring train safety regulations are obeyed at all times.
- Notifying the authorities of any unauthorized persons on the train.
Railroad Conductor Requirements:
- High school diploma.
- Relevant certification or license.
- Completion of on-the-job training or experience in a similar role.
- Excellent problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Strong written and verbal skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Leadership qualities.
- A good grasp of train safety regulations.
- The ability to keep passengers calm and to assist them during emergencies.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources