Private Branch Exchange (PBX) Operators answer and direct calls using PBX phone systems. Their responsibilities include connecting internal phone users, enabling the use of external phone lines, and directing external calls to relevant departments. They may work at businesses, public or healthcare facilities, or in the hospitality industry.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
PBX Operator Job Description Template
We are seeking a highly-organized PBX Operator to manage our organization's phone calls. In this role, you will be responsible for maintaining our call directory, answering incoming calls, and connecting internal and external callers with corresponding departments or staff. You may also be required to perform other administrative duties.
To ensure success as a PBX Operator, you should possess excellent interpersonal skills and competency in PBX phone systems. Top-notch PBX Operators are multitasking experts who create a positive experience for every caller they assist.
PBX Operator Responsibilities:
- Creating, updating, and distributing a call directory to all departments.
- Answering, screening, and forwarding calls in a professional and courteous manner.
- Handling general phone inquiries about the organization.
- Directing external calls to designated departments or individuals.
- Transferring internal calls across departments and between staff.
- Setting up and confirming scheduled and conference calls when required.
- Relaying written or verbal messages in a timely and accurate manner.
- Scheduling routine maintenance and facilitating urgent repairs of PBX equipment.
- Keeping records of calls placed and charges incurred.
- Assisting with other administrative duties, including copying, scanning, faxing, and emailing.
PBX Operator Requirements:
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Formal qualification in office administration, secretarial work, or similar.
- Previous experience as a PBX Operator or a similar role would be advantageous.
- Proficiency in different communication systems, including analog, Voice over IP, and ISDN.
- Exceptional ability in professional telephone etiquette.
- Extensive experience with answering and directing calls, as well as relaying accurate messages.
- Ability to maintain a call directory and schedule conference calls.
- Experience with office software such as MS Word, Excel, and Outlook, as well as printers, copiers, scanners, and fax machines.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources