A Line Worker installs and fixes overhead distribution and transmission systems, which includes poles, cables and electrical systems. Line Workers also fit, repair and maintain underground cables and electrical equipment.
Line Worker Job Description Template
We are looking to hire a competent line worker to install overhead and underground electrical systems. The Line Worker will work on energized and de-energized circuits and equipment up to 12 kilovolts. You will trim trees to clear lines, set and replace poles, change crossarms, repair transformers, and change insulators and lightning arresters. You will respond to emergency call-outs and customer complaints, and train apprentices and assistants.
To ensure success you need to be safety-minded at all times. Preferred applicants are skilled, knowledgeable and meticulous.
Line Worker Responsibilities:
- Installing, maintaining and performing emergency repairs relating to overhead and underground electric systems.
- Framing and setting power, security and street poles.
- Installing primary and secondary lines.
- Finding and fixing cable faults, and restoring power.
- Preserving electrical distribution systems.
- Installing metering equipment.
- Setting underground transformers and switches.
- Keeping accurate reports and records of work activities such as work orders.
- Responding to call-outs.
Line Worker Requirements:
- High school diploma, GED, or suitable equivalent.
- Course work in electricity.
- Journeyman Lineman certification.
- Backhoe operator certification.
- 2+ years work experience as line worker.
- Valid commercial driver's license.
- First Aid and CPR certification.
- Available to work shifts, evenings, weekends, public holidays, and on short notice.
- Physically strong, agile and dexterous.
- Undeterred by heights and adverse climatic conditions.