Collection Agents act as liaisons between businesses and customers to collect debts and resolve outstanding balances. Their responsibilities include developing payment plans, locating debtors in order to begin the recovery process, and negotiating debt payments. They may also be required to negotiate payment settlements on recoverable debt.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Collection Agent Job Description Template
We are seeking a dedicated Collection Agent to assist our business with the recovery of outstanding payments from debtors. In this role, your duties will include communicating with customers via telephone, negotiating payment plans with debtors, and enacting payment plans that eliminate debt.
To ensure success as a Collection Agent, you should possess experience with debt collection and knowledge of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA). Accomplished Collection Agents will mitigate financial losses by developing and enacting manageable debt recovery plans.
Collection Agent Responsibilities:
- Collaborating on debt collection efforts with Accounts, Sales, and the Legal Department.
- Developing debt collection strategies and plans.
- Adhering to the FDCPA throughout the debt collection process.
- Contacting debtors by telephone to enact and negotiate debt recovery.
- Searching publicly-available databases to track down defaulters, including Credit Bureau information, background checks, and loan documents.
- Preventing repeated payment delinquency by negotiating manageable debt payments.
- Negotiating settlements to receive payment on a certain percentage of the debt.
- Keeping hard copy and electronic records of all communications, payment plans agreed to, and amounts paid.
- Sending statements of delinquencies and satisfied debts to the Credit Bureau, as well as purging records where debts have been satisfied.
- Initiating legal and repossession proceedings if debt recovery fails.
Collection Agent Requirements:
- Debt Collection certification or training preferred.
- In-depth knowledge of the FDCPA and professional codes of conduct.
- Proficiency in debt collection software, such as ACE and CollectMax.
- A minimum of 2 years' experience in sales, customer service, or telemarketing.
- Previous debt collection experience will be advantageous.
- Experience in developing and enacting debt recovery plans and strategies to prevent losses.
- Exceptional ability to communicate with debtors to negotiate debt payment plans.
- Ability to collaborate on debt collection efforts with other departments and institutions.
- Experience in tracking down defaulters by searching publicly-available databases and records.
- Exceptional recordkeeping and interpersonal skills.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources