Chief Medical Officer Job Description Template
We are looking for highly organized candidates with extensive experience in both medical and management roles. Chief medical officers are responsible for managing hospital budgets, recruiting and training healthcare physicians, ensuring that all staff adhere to safety standards, and delivering the highest quality of medical care.
Chief medical officers are expected to act as mentors to their physicians and medical staff, requiring good leadership qualities, patience, and confidence. Chief medical officers will assume responsibility for the faults of their subordinates.
Chief Medical Officer Responsibilities:
- Balancing the duties of a physician with that of an administrator.
- Ensuring that patients receive the highest standard of medical care.
- Being responsible for the performance of physicians under your supervision.
- Ensuring that all healthcare regulations and safety standards are met.
- Keeping staff updated on new healthcare regulations.
- Finding ways to improve clinical services.
- Liaising between the administration and medical staff.
- Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer or Board of Directors.
- Recruiting and mentoring physicians.
- Developing and managing a hospital budget.
Chief Medical Officer Requirements:
- Medical degree.
- Master of health administration (MHA) or Master of business administration (MBA) advantageous.
- Valid medical license.
- 10+ years clinical experience.
- 4+ years experience in a management role.
- Clinical risk management experience.
- Good organizational skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills.