Interview Questions for Chefs:
1. What dish have you created that you’re most proud of?
This question will reveal which candidates are truly passionate about what they do and give you a chance to gauge their creativity and taste.
2. What procedures do you follow to keep the kitchen clean and safe?
Look for candidates who are perfectionists when it comes to cleanliness. Chefs should have set methods and follow best practices for health and safety.
3. What is the largest number of kitchen staff you’ve overseen?
The best candidates will have experience leading a large kitchen successfully.
4. How would you deal with a line cook who makes a mistake when preparing food?
Look for candidates who are fair and level-headed, but not too lenient. Chefs must do everything in their power to limit errors in the kitchen.
5. Can you tell us about a time that you changed something based on feedback?
The ideal candidates should be open to constructive criticism, and always looking for ways to improve their recipes and processes.