Interview Questions for Neonatal Nurses
1. Can you recommend a treatment for newborns suffering from respiratory distress?
Look for candidates who demonstrate an up-to-date working knowledge of the latest medical techniques and procedures.
2. How would you deal with a difficult mother causing a commotion in the hospital?
Demonstrates the candidates' interpersonal skills. Look out for candidates who show a lack of empathy.
3. If a particular treatment is not working, what would you do?
Keeping in mind that NICU nurses must work with a team of professionals, look for candidates who demonstrate teamwork as well as excellent communication skills. Be wary of candidates who neglect to offer knowledge of correct procedures.
4. What would you do to de-stress from a particularly difficult day?
Look for candidates who demonstrate an ability to handle difficult situations. Be wary of candidates who show little ability to compartmentalize and would let difficult days influence their future work.
5. What equipment would you use in the care of a premature infant?
Demonstrates the candidates' knowledge of NICU equipment and its use.